Saturday, August 28, 2010

Slowly cooked red cabbage with apple and celery

Huge half red cabbage I got at the farmer's market last Sunday I needed to use so I can fill up my fridge with new stuff tomorrow morning!

I adjusted this recipe to fit me :) I basically halved it and cooked it on stovetop instead of broiling it. It was supposed to serve two, but it ended up being a heap more :)

Slowly cooked red cabbage with apple and celery
Serves 4 with grain base or 6 by itself

Ingredients

500g red cabbage, shredded
2 small apples, cubed (leave the skin on; I used pink lady cuz that was in the fridge)
250g thinly sliced onions
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 sticks celery, finely sliced
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
I tsp whole grain mustard
1 1/2 tbsp wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
Chunk of vegan margarine
Salt, pepper to taste
Prepare all vegetables and chuck into large stock pot with the rest of the ingredients. Stir well and put a splash of water in. Put stock pot on the smallest element on your stove and turn it on to a low heat. Cover and cook for about 1.5 hours. Stir every now and again to make sure it's not sticking. It shouldn't.

Serve on top of rice, would also be good by itself or on pasta or noodles or something.
A delicious purple mess!

No comments: