Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Curry soup

The other night we made a red curry coconut noodle soup :) I can't remember exactly what I did as I usually just eyeball ingredients for this sort of thing. I wrote a recipe for my sister, but failed to keep a copy for myself but oh well. I'll just give an outline. Curry soup is really to taste.

Red Curry Coconut Noodle Soup
Serves about 8 or 10 depending on how big your stomach is and how many veges you decide on

Ingredients:
Tin of red curry paste (I use Maesri brand - you can buy it at Woolworths, sometimes at Coles. It's the only brand I've found so far with no shrimp paste or other animal products in it. They also do a Mussaman paste and a yellow curry paste. Both delicious.)
2 cans of coconut cream (or milk) I use woolworths home brand light coconut cream
1 large onion
Garlic cloves (to taste, I usually use about 4 big ones)
Assorted veges - this time I had brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, eggplant, bean sprouts, bok choy, sweet potato, spring onions (scallions), snow peas
About 500mL 'chicken' stock (or whatever you have in the cupboard - mushroom would work nicely too but chicken flavoured is really best)
300g packet of tofu
1 400g tin of baby corn
1 400g tin of chickpeas

Noodles of choice

..I think that's about it.

Method:

Start off by lightly frying the onion, tofu and garlic together. Then add the tin of curry paste and stir for a little while. Try not to burn it. You can use oil, or a bit of the prepared chicken stock if you like. If using eggplant or sweet potato add in here. I didn't peel, or salt my eggplant, it sits in the curry long enough to no longer be bitter anyway. But you can if you wish.

Add in all the vegetables (including tin chickpeas and corn) and a can of coconut cream. (I usually use cream but milk would probabaly work better - next time I think I'll use 1 cream and 1 milk.) Stir it until combined. Add about half the stock and the rest of the coconut milk or cream. Cook until vegetables are tender.

It's supposed to be a soup, so if it's not liquidy enough add the rest of the stock or add some water. This time mine was rather thick because I used way more veges than usual - I needed a bigger pot! Another way that would work is if I served up the noodles and curry, then added some stock in at the end to make it soupy.

Serve in a soup bowl with noodles.

(The burnt mess on top the bowl there is a slice of eggplant I tried to grill. I forgot to put oil on it, so my partner tried to add oil about half way through, but it was spray oil and we have a gas oven, so it caught fire. No damage though - eggplant slice was chewy, but the cat liked it!)

No comments: