Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Training Begins, Homemade Sausages and Scones!

Nadine stretches woo!
We started training for our half marathon last week, really. We accidentally walked 10km! We thought the distance would be about 6km but it took us 2 hours to get there and back, so we looked it up and it was actually ten. No wonder our legs hurt. But today we did just a short one - 5km walking with sporadic jogging to break up the monotony. I just bought two cheapie pedometers, so hopefully it makes it a little easier to see exactly how far we are going. Google maps isn't really accurate enough for my liking!
Like my stretchy pants? I love them. About $10 at Target, they are SO COMFY and prevent chafing - important in a 21km walk. They come in all different lengths. I got one pair in full length and one in 3/4.
After lunch we wanted to go to have coffee somewhere but the place had closed up for the day so we came back home and I made some fluffy white scones and coffee! (To celebrate the royal nuptials hahahaha). I made them as traditional as I could - bought white self raising flour and everything! I used this recipe I found on the BBC. Unfortunately it barely makes 4 scones, but that's probably a good thing as scones don't really reheat well. We had them with jam and some cashew cream I had leftover from the Panna Cotta I made yesterday. I'm not too fussed on the cashew cream - I wanted to make the 'clotted cream' I found on this entry by Oh She Glows (which inspired me to make scones to celebrate the wedding in the first place) but I couldn't find Tofutti cream cheese (or any other vegan kind) at woolies (and the shop I would otherwise get it from was closed) so I couldn't. Next time.
I have a three level steamer! It certainly comes in handy.
I decided to make some sausages for dinner! I found the recipe yonks ago on Vegan Dad's blog and have always wanted to make them (but I am lazy and keep buying the sanitarium ones which are good). I doubled the recipe and made about 8 or 9 I think. I could have made them smaller, they were a bit giant!
I also didn't mash the beans enough (I used black beans) and I thought they would be ruined but they weren't at all. Though next time I am pureeing them in the food processor first. Yes it looks like a poo.
I also didn't put enough herbs in, but trial and error! They were still delicious. We made mashed sweet potatoes (with rosemary), and steamed brussels sprouts, carrots, peas and corn with lemon and pepper and garlic. Yum. I didn't think as far ahead as sauce though! Gravy would have been good.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have an android or iOS phone, try an app called Runkeeper that gives you pretty accurate and useful information about your trip, along with heaps of other good stuff like distance announcements.

Theresa said...

You should check out mapmyrun.com - it uses google maps, but you can map a route that doesn't follow the roads, and it tells you the distance, and elevation and other exciting things.

Homemade sausages are really good, but we get lazy and forget to make them. And I also feel bad about all the al foil that gets used up. I'll have to experiment with cheese cloth, or something.

Emma said...

@Theresa: thanks for the site, I'll check it out :)

I try to unwrap them carefully so I can re use the foil (I don't know how safe that is) but it often tears. Next time I'll try to use less in general and see if it works!