Saturday, April 16, 2011

Homemade Tofu Failure :(

I bought myself a few kitchen goodies for my birthday (asking mum to get me a tofu press would be just weird!!) I'm all about using less packaging in our household, so homemade tofu is a great idea! (And in theory would save money, and trips to the shop...which is only across the road, but I'm very lazy.)

This is the second time I tried to make it. For some reason there's hardly anything! I don't know what I did wrong. I followed the directions on the coagulator packet to the letter! Oh well, trial and error. It's not as bad as the first one. I managed somehow to pour my entire mixture down the sink before I could even begin to press! Duh. Good thing I bought two lots of the coagulator!

This one tastes like tofu, it's a little crumbly, but solid.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

And again.

:)

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Do you put cheesecloth inside of the tofu press? If you do, that will sound like a dumb question, but I nearly didn't the first time we made tofu. Depending on how tightly woven your cheesecloth is (we use what is more probably called muslin, and is quite tight), you just have to pour slowly to let the water drain out so you don't overflow the tofu press.