Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Wholemeal Carrot and Currant Muffins

I'm a muffin person, not a cake person. Though I do like the odd bit of cake sometimes :)

Anyway I fully intended on making these delicious sounding carrot muffins from Wayfaring Chocolate, but I found all this other stuff in my cupboard, and grated too much carrot, even for a doubled recipe which is what I intended...So it's practically a whole new muffin!

These aren't very sweet (trying to cut back on sugar) so you may wish to add a little more.

Wholemeal Carrot and Currant Muffins
Makes 12 regular and 9 mini muffins

Ingredients
2 cups wholemeal flour
4 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 cups coarsely grated carrot

1 ½ tbsp chia seeds
5 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
300ml soy milk
2 tbsp unrefined coconut oil

¼ - ½ cup currants

Method
Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius. Grease a regular muffin tin and half a mini muffin tin. Or, it will probably make 15 regular sized muffins.
Mix together chia seeds and water. Set aside to thicken.

In a large bowl mix together all dry ingredients and grated carrot.
In another bowl whisk together the vanilla, soy milk, coconut oil and the chia egg. (The more energetic you are with whisking, the more your muffins will rise, apparently. I can't remember where I read that. PPK?)
Mix wet into dry until just combined. Fold through currants. Divide mix evenly among muffin holes and bake for 20-25 minutes (yes, even the little ones!) I cooked mine for 20 minutes and they came out very moist. You may want to leave them in a bit longer.
 
----
 
I love taking muffins to work to eat on my morning tea break. I'm usually starving by then so a good wholemeal muffin really fills the hole. I usually take two, and have them with a cup of tea and a muesli bar.

No comments: