Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Barley Risotto

Nadine made dinner last night - 'White Bean and Barley Risotto with Kale and Tempeh' from Vegan on the Cheap. (with button mushrooms)

This is one of the most delicious meal I've had from this book. I could eat it all day, for real. I was sad there was only 4 servings :( It was also quite expensive to make, which was annoying. Spinach/salad greens are costing a fortune at the supermarket now and it's driving me nuts. I need my green stuff! No, what I need is to get off my ass every Sunday and go to the freakin market.

Anyway, make this damn meal, it's amazing.

We used spinach instead of kale, black eye peas instead of white beans and dried basil instead of savory.

This could have been made cheaper by using frozen spinach, tofu instead of tempeh, and a cheaper brand (or bulk buy) barley. So in the end it cost around $4 per serve.
Bob loves to sleep on our rainbow doona cover :) I turned the light on and she disagreed so she hid her face!
We got a laundry hamper yesterdayand Charlee couldn't resist it!

3 comments:

Theresa said...

You should grow ceylon spinach! Andy and I eat spinach every week in the summer, sometimes every day, because it grows so prolifically even though we only have a tiny back courtyard. It's a tropical variety, so it goes best in summer when it is humid and hot. It is a little slimy compared to regular spinach, but I don't mind it much. I know summer is almost over with, but if you want I can post some seeds down for you.

Emma said...

Oh wow that would be great! That's so nice of you. I've been meaning to grow spinach or silverbeet for ages but never got around to buying any seeds. There's still a few more weeks of warm left! If not I can always grow it next season. My email is emma dot jayne 89 at yahoo dot com dot au. Thank you so much!

Melisser said...

Ooh, that looks delish, but that's too bad it missed the "on the cheap" mark.