Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pasta with Alfredo Sauce

I've come to the conclusion that it would be a good idea to post how much my recipes actually cost to make, per serve, in my entries. Otherwise what's the point of having a food blog that claims to be student-budget friendly! (Most of the time.) So, starting with this entry I am going to start doing that. I'll have to guess the prices of spices and things like pepper and salt.

These recipes may also not cost the exact same for you to make at home. It all depends on what specials are on at the stores, where you get stuff from etc yadda. Just to put it out there, I buy most of my general groceries at Woolworths (pasta, rice, spices, flour, cereal, tofu etc), specialty items at health food stores such as Mrs Flannery's or the Green Edge (gluten flour, dried beans and nuts, nutritional yeast, vegan cheese, agar etc) and fruit and veg usually at the fruit shop, or if I'm energetic I'll go to the farmer's market on my bike on a Sunday. The fruit shop is cheaper and better quality than Woolies, and the farmer's market is cheaper and better quality than the fruit shop, depending on what you buy. I also always try to buy in season. The market is good for this. (Though banana's are like $7 or $8 a kilo now and I bought some gah). Also, in any recipe that calls for milk, please remember I make my own for less than 40c a litre. This is a helluva lot less than store bought milk so keep it in mind :)

Anyway, to the food I made the other night!

I made Instant Vegan Alfredo from the Happy Herbivore. Does that look like a cheesy sauce to you?? It does to me!  The flavour reminded me of those Continental 'side dishes' pasta in a packet with cheese powder things I lived off when I went to uni. Only better. I followed Happy Herbivore's recipe pretty much exactly, but I used 2 cloves of fresh garlic instead of powder and a small onion instead of powder. I also added half a small brocolli and a carrot to up the vegetable content.

It made 4 servings and cost about $1.95 per serving.



No comments: