Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Fruit of the Month - February '11 :)

Who doesn't love a perfectly ripe passionfruit in Summer?

This fruit is one of my fruit plants that I will be growing when the space comes to me (along with limes, lemons, blueberries and mulberries). In the meantime I can buy packs of about 10 small fully ripe passionfruit at the fruit shop for about $2. Awesome.

Lately I've just been enjoying them by themselves, or mixed into the yoghurt I take to work, but maybe I'll try me a passionfruit cheesecake! Or passionfruit ice cream...there's an idea.

Ripe passionfruit are dark purple and wrinkly. If you've bought smooth unripe passionfruit a few days on your countertop should do the trick.

A book I got for Christmas has an entire chapter dedicated to passionfruit. The Kitchen Garden Companion by Stephanie Alexander has a few recipes in it using this fruit. The Passionfruit and Dried Apricot Jam on page 493 sounds pretty darn good to me (except for the 1.5 kg of white sugar!!)

No comments: